Meeting with Honourable Shivpal Yadavji in Lucknow
Pujya Swami Chidanand Saraswati Ji and Sadhvi Bhagawati Saraswati Ji met with the Honourable State Minister of Irrigation, Uttar Pradesh, Shri Shivpal Singh YadavJi to discuss the progress of the Clean and Green River Gomti project. The Hon’ble Minister previously met with and was inspired by Pujya Swamiji’s commitment during the Allahabad Kumbha Mela in 2013. After Hon’ble Yadavji’s snan (holy dip) in the sacred Sangam (confluence of Ganga, Yamuna and Saraswati) he vowed to create a green model and example on the banks of the River Gomti, one of the major tributaries of the River Ganga. Pujya Swamiji lauded Hon’ble Yadavji’s great dedication, commitment and action to this pledge and the great progress being made under his leadership.
The following key action items were discussed during their meeting:
- Comprehensive River Rights Legislation to keep our National River and its tributaries free from pollution and over-extraction.
- Establishing Green Corridors and Organic Zones on both sides of the River
- Greening Pilgrimage Sites and Eco-Tourism
- Eco-Sustainable Housing and Structures
Other important topics discussed were:
- To “green” UP’s capital during the upcoming monsoon season as a step to reduce environmental pollution, bring about cooler temperatures year round, attract tourists and improve the quality of living for all.
- To install bio-toilets in select regions of UP, bringing sanitation for all and empowering women by providing them access to the basic necessities for daily living. It was concluded that a few pilot plans will be started and implemented to create an initial model for success. Thereafter, much larger scale plans will be implemented throughout the state and throughout India.